Chronicles of one girl's journey to London - from conception to eventual migration.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

O CANADA!

It was a lovely Canada Day weekend in London! I did miss a lot of things about actually being in Canada this time around, as it's now been 14 months since I've last seen my hometown. And I thought I would share some of those things I miss with you here . . .

Tim Horton's
AKA Timmy's, it's the best place for coffee, tea, doughnuts, muffins, bagels, sandwiches and home of the infamous Timbits! 


There is literally nowhere in the world that I have ever been that has a better coffee shop. This is better than Starbucks, this is better than Costa and Caffe Nero. You know why? Because it's simple. You just ask for a small, medium or large coffee. You put cream, sugar or milk into it. You drink it. End of story. There are no barristas, no poncey coffee maker asks for your name to put it on your cup and there is no such thing as a Trenta sized coffee or tea.

And every year, we have a Roll up the Rim competition, which was naively named and sounds like a strange sex act, but there is nothing more exciting than finding a prize under the lip of the cup.

And, finally, the uniform is pretty sexy, don't you think?


Wasaga Beach
Now, Toronto isn't known for its beaches - and nor should it be. They're not exactly the white sand, turquoise blue pieces of paradise that people tend to go for. They are, however, within easy reach of the city and are a lot of fun because, well, it's a beach!



We would go at least twice each summer, mostly just for the day as they are only a couple of hours away. Lie on the sand, play in the water, and build human pyramids, something we are now quite good at:


We also found a more private beach than the actual main strip, as those are just full of what you would call chavs. And tourists. Damn tourists. Just a little further down from the main area is a lovely strip of sand called Allen Beach. If you bring your own food and drink, you can spend an entire day here, just tanning and swimming. I miss our days out here.

Badr
Now, I have a lot of really great friends in Canada but this one is special - and if you've met him, you know why. There is a certain charm and enigma that only Badr possesses. I have yet to meet someone who does not like him from the start. And if I do ever meet someone who doesn't like him right from the start, I'll know that person is a waste of space.


. . . and these are a few of my favourite things :)

No comments:

Post a Comment